Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How do you fight an attack in progress?

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:16:38 -0400 (EDT)

Just my 2 cents worth:  I would do a traceroute and follow up with the
next upstream hop and see what they have to say.  I also think that when
you look up the domain you will get an address of the admin (maybe I am
mistaken on that one), but you may wanna send snailmail to that address
in some sort of formal legal manner.  Just a suggestion.

You will get three e-mail addresses, possibly all the same: technical,
administrative, and billing contacts.  No guarantees of working; and on
rogue domains, quite likely they won't work.  Then again, no guarantee
SnailMail posts would do any good to the addresses found, either, in
such cases.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B