Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Policy ? (was RE: Penetration Tests)

From: Damir Rajnovic <Damir.Rajnovic () eurocert net>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:35:41 +0100

At 6:14 -0400 30/9/97, Gary Crumrine wrote:
[....]
information overload.  It is unfortunate that we still have
to deal with some pretty computer illiterate users.  But
that is a fact of life that we will see continue for quite
a while.  I cannot go to my challenged users with
instructions, rules and such and expect them to make sense
of it all.  Education is the key to enforcement, but
simplicity, and being able to tailor the policy to the user
environment may just be the lynchpin in the process.

It is not theirs (users) fault but managers and, unfortunately,
it will be worse, IMHO. Just think about salary difference between
some well educated computer user and another uneducated. Bosses
are responsible for that since they want more profit and they
can achieve it using cheap, uneducated work force. Vendors know
that and, consequently, adveritse their products that way -
"Fast learning curve! No special knowledge required! Ready to use!
Half-digested!".

And as long as it is so you will not have smart users since noone
will employ them (only in small doses).

Cheers,

Gaus

EuroCERT, UKERNA                tel: (+01235) 822 382
Atlas Centre                    fax: (+01235) 822 398
Didcot
Oxon OX11 0QS                   http://www.eurocert.net
UK                              mailto:Damir.Rajnovic () eurocert net