Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS on the Firewall - security problem

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:51:09 -0400 (EDT)

Marc Heuse wrote:

| I found so far two possiblities to solve this problem ...
| The first is to chroot named. pointer : www.homeport.org/~adam/dns.html
| The second is to just forward the dns resolving to a host in the dmz plus
| running also the primary external dns there.
|
| Do you see any problems with these suggestions?
| And another question, are there any secure/minimal dns-servers out there?
| pointers?

Since I wrote the chrooting a named doc, I'll remind everyone that a
root process chrooted is not all that great an imrpovement in the
theoretical analysis.  Its a nice improvement in practicality, since
there is no egg* to overflow and break a chroot.  Thus, if you don't
put CHROOT/bin/sh in place, the standard attacks will fail, but a
smart attacker can still get in.  In practicality, there are few smart
attackers.

Adam

*An egg is the core of code that a biuffer overflow includes to do the
real work.  Its the thing that hatches and gets you root.  See some
early l0pht advisory.  And make that "no egg generally available."

--
                                                       -Hume