Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall administration

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 04:15:31 -0700

[ lots of interesting ideas, most of which I happily agree with, and then: ]
      From the security officer's point of view, there are two
      enemies: the attacker and his own management.

This statement I can't agree with. In my experience to date, my management has
never been out to actively sabotage the organization; they've been trying to
set appropriate policy, and just sometimes need some instruction in security
issues. I give them the right info and they make good decision. Sometimes they
even surprise me with better security policy decisions than I could come up
with.

Actually, my first claim isn't quite true; I _did_ once work in a company
where the ``Data Security'' department had an idiot who regularly tried to
sabotage the firm. We regularly cut him off and shut him down. That was pretty
ugly, that was; he ended up making the whole rest of the company hostile to
computer security.

      It is very important that one can say ``you ordered me
      to throw Sam out of the car'' when management complains
      about the effects of opening the hole they asked for
      last week. It's even more important to be able to send
      them a form to sign which says ``Turning on cornering
      will result in the inadvertant ejection of passengers. I
      authorize this as an officer of the company''.

I think if you've gotten to this point things are pretty awful. To date, I've
been able to head 'em off before we get to implementation by explaining the
risks. If ever I should be unable to do that, I'd have to figure I'm not doing
my job anymore and go somewhere I can do it.

-Bennett