Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: New ftp behavior

From: Vern Paxson <vern () ee lbl gov>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:40:30 PDT

I checked the logs and discovered that, although the original ftp
connection was made to xxx.xxx.xxx.yyy, the response was coming from
xxx.xxx.xxx.zzz.  The firewall very properly considered this an attempt to
hijack an open port and closed the ftp transaction.

What causes the remote site to behave this way?

This is not all that uncommon - the monitoring system I'm working on
(drop me a line for a draft paper) has had this check for quite a while,
and it trips every few days, sometimes more often.  I think it usually
is due to a multi-homed site - or a site with multiple IP addresses
on the same interface (evidently popular for Web farms) - which isn't
consistently using the same address.

It has also occasionally tripped due to a a genuine attack, but these
are much more rare.

                Vern