Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: port 256/257 and firewall-1

From: Scott Blake <blake () netegrity com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 09:33:47 -0400

I concur with Errol.  I've done some limited testing of these ports and
they appear to be reasonably safe against DoS attacks (I'd love to hear
if someone knows otherwise).  You should note that the FireWall-1
Control Connections include UDP on ports 161 (snmp) and 260 (fw-1 snmp).
Unchecking the box will also disable SNMP on the interfaces you don't
explicitly open.

-s

Scott Blake, Network Security Architect
Netegrity, Inc.