Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PPTP viability (was RE: Gauntlet & NTLM)

From: Steve Kruse <jsk347 () worldnet att net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 18:19:04 -0400

John:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but unless things have changed
significantly since I left the USN, the answer would be...NO.  The
encryption used in the BorderGuard is (max) 128 bit, which is pretty
secure to be sure, however no CLASSIFIED (as in US Government) data
could be used with it.  All classified transmissions require the use
of KG equipment running NSA implemented algorithms, keys etc.  The
Government does use BorderGuards at various sites to pass
Unclassified but sensitive traffic.  Some foreign countries may
consider the BorderGuard to be adequate for their military /
government applications, I think.  But in the US I don't believe this
to be the case.

They do have exportable versions of both DES (for financial applications)
as well as 40bit export.  And they have a person who is dedicated to
handling all of the export issues located in Minneapolis on staff.  Hope
this helps.

Flames Ignored!  Comments welcome!

Steve