Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Internet Security Review

From: Steve Kruse <jsk347 () worldnet att net>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:15:35 -0400

Ok folks...Mark (in a private E-Mail) pointed out a serious mistake I made
here.  I said "takes several days to complete".  What I should have said
"takes several weeks or months to complete".  The real time involved is on
the auditEE's part, not the auditOR's part, in that before they can do a
serious evaluation, you must spend many many many hours preparing precise
detailed information.  The work of making detailed maps, listing operating
systems, programs, rev/release levels, connections, policies, access-lists,
firewall rules blah blah blah...must all be done before they ever set foot
on site.  Once on site, the time they are actually there doing the audit
ranges on the complexity of the network from days to weeks.  THEN, after
the audit is completed, they will take some amount of time (up to another
several weeks) preparing the report for executive management.  So...comment
gracefully accepted, Mark.  Good point!

Steve Kruse