Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Antwort: Re: Facts, not Fiction

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:07:08 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997 Hartmut.Fehling () Hamburg-Mannheimer de wrote:

Example: I have an NT-Host behind the FW which is vulnerable to POD or
NetBIOS-Attacks. However, the FW-Host is supposed to filter out this kind
of traffic. How far can I trust the _current_ products to do just that?

In an application layer gateway which doesn't forward, you should be able
to build a high level of trust if you don't have proxies for the
applications *and* the firewall itself isn't vulnerable.  In a packet
filtering firewall, as much as you trust the particular implementation.

But of course, proxies get to be the same difficulty when it comes to
things at the application's transport layer.

Trust modeling is complex, and the barriers to entry into a trusted space
are quite high, and the path long.  That's why you'll see a lot of us
arguing against jumping to the 'latest and greatest' of anything, be it
OS, product, or service.

Your audit points, ability to have good audits, and following the issues
should give you assurance based on your extension of trust.

Lastly, trust shouldn't be absolute.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280