Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: New firewall paradigms, anyone ?

From: Vern Paxson <vern () ee lbl gov>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:39:54 PST

The first question to answer is whether network traffic is, in fact,
simple and predictable. We don't know that. (That's one of the
things The Guys and I are researching) I'd guess it is.

I wouldn't bet on it.  I've taught courses on Internet measurement and one
of the themes I develop is "there is no such thing as typical".  Huge
variation is instead what you find.  Also, it's worth checking out
"self-similar"/fractal traffic models, which fit to measured (aggregate)
traffic much better than traditional models, and likewise predict huge
variation.

Do you want to know about packets that have come more
than 2 standard deviations outside of the normal inter-packet
arrival time for a connection? What about packets that are out
of sequence? Or packets that are out of sequence by more than
2 sequence numbers? Which is worse - closely out of sequence
packets or wildly out of sequence packets? My guess is that
closely out of sequence packets are worse but they are also
closer to a "normal error"

You might want to check out a couple of my recent papers:

        End-to-End Internet Packet Dynamics
        Proc. SIGCOMM '97
        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-pkt-dyn-sigcomm97.ps.Z

        Automated Packet Trace Analysis of TCP Implementations
        Proc. SIGCOMM '97
        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-tcpanaly-sigcomm97.ps.Z

and/or the chapters in my thesis on TCP behavior and network pathologies:

        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-thesis/dis.ps.gz
                whole thing

        ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/papers/vp-thesis/README
                list of individual chapters

- Vern