Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Time for a new FWTK?

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:09:01 -0800

1997-11-27-04:09:30 Craig Brozefsky:
Tho for some reaons I think that this "reactive" securty software has a
long way to go from pipe dream, to effective software tool.

If you haven't done so yet, I encourage you to take a look at Network
Flight Recorder[1]. I'm reading the manuals now. It looks like a pretty
nifty piece of work.

It's early to say yet whether this implementation will be the successful
pioneer that carries us through this next revolution, but it certainly
shows the direction.

Network Flight Recorder is a packet sniffer. It has various layers of
filtering; there are all sorts of highly-efficient built-in filters and
data reduction elements, and there's a general-purpose programming
language in which you can write more; then you get to choose what data
gets logged and details about how it should be retained. Then you've got
your query programs and alert monitors.

It looks like the kind of flexible tool that will fairly quickly produce
the answer to the hard question ``what do you _look_ for, to catch
attacks in the act''.

-Bennett

[1] <URL:http://www.nfr.net/nfr/>