Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Trust (was RE: Antwort: Re: Facts, not Fiction)

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:07:50 -0800

On Mon, Nov 17, 1997 at 08:22:05PM -0500, Stout, William wrote:
I have to differ with Bennett and Marcus about DOS bugs and the like
being quietly fixed before they're exploited, since not everyone
religiously patches their systems.  Many production folk either do a
'set and forget' not wanting to fix something that works, or have
religious reasons not to apply patch until some experience is had by
others that did patch.

I shouldn't speak for MJR here, but my own opinion is that the original
stated view holds quite well: the major commercial firewall products can
be given a high degree of trust, as long as they are properly
configured, to be free of holes and bugs --- to behave as they are
designed to. The major firewall vendors are very very aggressive about
making and providing patches to security holes in their products, and
have a good record for getting them into the hands of their customers
before any exploits come out.

Whether a given user elects to pay for support (and so get such
patches), and whether they elect to apply them when they are shipped, is
their own lookout.

-Bennett