Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Kernel options for FW?

From: Brian Mitchell <brian () firehouse net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 12:07:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Adam Shostack wrote:

(This is not meant to spark a religious war.  I'm asking for help
configuring a kernel, and comparing kernel security features between
FreeBSD and NetBSD to make a reasonable decision.)

On Netbsd, I'd enable the following options.  I can't find equivilents
to these on FreeBSD.  Do they exist, and what are they?   Also, I know
Freebsd sets kernel security wrong (-1) by default, and that needs to
be fixed.  Are there other things that I should know about on Freebsd
to do everything right?

options IPFORWSRCRT=0 //Turn off source routing.

THis is a sysctl, i believe. sysctl -a to check.

options IPNOPRIVPORTS //Remove concept of priv'd ports so BIND doesn't
                    //need to run as root.

Last time I checked (which was some time ago) freebsd did not have this.
OpenBSD developer thinks this is a horrible idea, for various reasons he
can elaborate on. I wrote a sysctlable variable that does this on a per
port basis, but besides hacking the kernel a bit, I don't know of any way
to do it.

I'm sure someone more familiar with -current and newer -releases will be
of more assistance.

options IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK //Put my FW policy in the kernel.

This is the default in ipfw. Last time I built it, it was hardcoded,
although there was a way (ioctl?) to change it.

options FDSCRIPTS // Allow a script to be run if it is x only, by
               // passing a file descriptor to the interpreter,
               // avoiding some race conditions.

Absolutely no idea on this one.