Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: signed applets a solution --maybe!

From: Hal <hal () mrj com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:01:34 -0500

I pretty much agree with what you say.  Here's my problem: A web page comes into my system and with it three objects:
one is java from xyz company another VB does commo and is from Microsoft and the third is, a very useful component from
a company whose name reguires characters drawn from the international topography typeset.  (Their name has no latin
letter equivalent, Japanese for example). Lets say they are all signed!   How do I know if its ok to load these
objects? Answer --I don't and I can't.
Has risk been reduced? Yes, somewhat on the xyz and microsoft is (i guess) ok. But what about object three. I am now
forced into "branding"  To play it safe I admit only objects authored by a well known institution  in other words, name
brands. In the end perhaps that the best we can hope for.  (People now usually say something about letting the
marketplace decide.)
-
As to the firewall vs distributed control I am not certain its clear who is going to win that arguement. There is a
growing body of users who suspect the merits of a firewall. They are web users and firewalls get in their way because
it prevents their arbitrarily using any port at any time.  An increasing number of web services ordinary and not so
ordinary are feeding this trend.