Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: New FW architecture? (longish)

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 97 08:51:14

--- On Mon, 01 Dec 1997 15:57:56 -0500  "Stout, William" <StoutW () pios com>
wrote:

[I'm sorry to include so much from Bill's earlier message, but it may be
necessary to help understand where we are on this...]

(Forgive my ramblings).

Mine, too.

<stuff deleted>

If we forced a 'DMZ backbone' on corporations they'd puke, due to the
need to completely redesign their network architecture.  So let's
compact it.  Collapse the backbone into a switch.  Rack of proxy
servers.  Security management station.  Multiport IDS box.  Dynamic
rules.  Direct access requirement for privileged admin, remote access
for departmental admin.  'Spanning tree' or loop detection (to prevent
cross-departmental lines).  Here:

     To management      ----------
     bus/net     -> x---| FW & IDS|
                        | Mgt Sys |
   Monitor   +----------|         |--->other places as required
     port -> |          ----------
    -----------     x---|         |
    |         |---------| FW-b    |
    |         |---------|         |
    -----------     x---| FW-d    |         ...etc...
             +----------| (weak)  |
                        | FW-I    |--->Internet
                        ----------

I think, in essence, this is the same concept I desribed earlier.
Collapsing the backbone into a switch is even more effecient and probably
more like some organizations' architectures.  [ One client of mine has a
large corporate backbone which could esily be an 'internal DMZ', but not
everyone is structured like that.]  As I see it, what we're trying to
suggest here is the notion that a department cannot connect into the
organization without a firewall of some sort.  This is good for
department<-> Internet communication as well as interdepartment
communication.

In some organizations, a 'rack of proxy servers' may not be feasable,
particularly if departments (or zones, see below) are distributed over a
wide geographic are.  In those cases some combination of a collapsed DMZ
and a DMZ backbone may be in order.

When I teach firewall courses I find an incredible resistance to internal
firewalls.  There appear to be two causes to this resistance: 1) cost of
implementation and management, and 2) misunderstanding of trust.

These two issues are really one.  Medium companies tend often to trust
everyone (if he has a badge, he's one of us...).  Very large companies
trust virtually nobody and for them internal firewalls are a given [ take a
large company just bought out by another large company as an example].  The
cost of protecting against 'friends' is usually perceived as too high in
all but the largest companies.

Once we sell the world on internal firewalls then the concept of
distributing the trust/rules comes in.

The overall question I have to go back to is, "Does this architecture make
it significantly easier to implement policy?" and the corollary, "Even if
it does, does some other architecture make it even easier?"  IMHO it seems
to make it easier, but that's only one person's opinion.

As Bill Stout said in another message (in response to Adam Safier):
The distributed control concepts need to be expanded further to include
hierarchical levels of control.  A central IC might set the high level

You're right.

I've seen e-commerce systems designed for two levels of access, then
patched for additional levels of access.  It would've been better if
they used a multi-level security system from the start, and initially
used two levels of that.  I haven't yet dwelled on 'role'/'function'
security (set-set-set-superset) vs. the hierarchical model
(set-subset-superset) security issue either.

I agree.  Two may look like enough on the surface: organizational and
departmental, but in reality, especially for larger sites, multiple levels
are necessary.  I don't see how it would be much more difficult to
implement.

This issue of role/function vs heirarchical is interesting in this context.
I think it must be at least somewhat heirarchical.  Consider a company with
a large corporate headquarters and mulitple sites scattered throughout the
world.  This company connects many of the sites to the Internet at a single
(US) point and interconnects the HQ with the distant sites via VPNs or
dedicated links.

The HQ site sets general rules governing, say, Internet access, but the
remote sites set local rules.  The HQ has a policy of not interferring with
remote site rules, so long as they do not violate corporate policy.

In such a case a role based paradigm would be nice, but some heirarchical
structure is necessary to implement the levels of control necessary, I
think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The IDS and management station could potentially be combined.  With
enough horsepower, the group could be combined into a single system
running multiple O.S. partions.  (Gee, this almost looks like a IBM SP
system).

Yeah, I think they could be, but I think, personally, that the functions
should be distinct.  This way the combination could be a site-specific
implementation detail.  Combining them in a design might provide
unnecessary restrictions (or it might provide added functionality, but I'm
not sure what that might be).

It would be interesting if the IDS system could control the DMZ switch.

I'm not sure about "control".  Maybe the management station (I called it
the IC before) could actually control the switch, with the IDS "advising"
the IC.  Is there a benefit of having the IDS control the switch instead of
going through the IC?  I do understand that this makes the IC a single
point of failure, which I am normally against, but sometimes a single point
of control is a benefit. [ I hate it when that happens...]

It would be interesting if the FWs were also IDS probes (clients).

I think they probably should be.  The departmental firewalls (DIs I called
them) seem ideal locations for IDS probes. In large organizations, there
might be multiple IDS "servers".

One could rename 'Department' to 'zone' so one could visualize 'zoning'
the corporation by building, location, etc, rather than divide it along
departmental lines.

I really like this idea of using the term 'zone'.  It needs to be clear
that either a) zones could be nested or b) zones could be aggregated.  That
is, we need some way of subdividing one of many buildings into multiple
departments, for instance.

How does policy tend to be divided in your (the list's) experience?  Mine
favors departmental, but that may not be the case always.  Regardless, zone
is a less restrictive term.

The Internet firewall could be more than one for high bandwidth/failover
needs.

Of course.

BTW - I do like the idea of making the IS department an internal ISP.
That potentially opens a whole new competitive market of service
providers who might be able to provide better service than an IS
department.

[BTW, This seems to wrap around to the discussion of outsourcing in another
thread.]  So are you suggesting that ABC corp might hire Joe's Internet
service to run their internal net?  That is an interesting idea.

Bill Stout

PS - John McDermott's idea of CI, DI, OI nomenclature is good, but I get
confused too easily by multiple terms.

Thanks.  What I dislike is using one term for multiple things
(overloading), so I thought these terms might make discussion easier.

--john