Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency(CISA) Cyber Hygiene scan services

From: "Powell, Andy" <ap16 () WILLIAMS EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 09:51:59 -0400

Hi Vince,

  We signed up for CISA's CyHy services in July and have only received the
results of their web app scanning to date (still waiting on general vuln
scan results), and your post is a timely reminder for me to ping them again.

  Speaking only of Web App scanning, I found their scan to be helpful and
informative. They use Qualys, so their report format was familiar to me. It
surfaced several concerns, some we were previously aware of and some others
that we weren't. In my opinion, that's working as intended and we're happy
with the service.

  I can only speculate on the cause for delay on the vuln scanning side,
which I chalk up to a supply/demand crunch...we operate a /16 space, which
is probably a pretty unusual slice for CISA, who typically scans "critical
infrastructure" organizations that would work hard to reduce their internet
exposure to something less than 65,000 addresses. I'm guessing we've been
prioritized downward, and wouldn't necessarily take issue with that.

Andrew F. Powell Jr., CISSP, CCSP
Information Security Director
Williams College
22 Lab Campus Drive, Williamstown, MA, 01267
O - (413) 597 - 4340
C - (978) 502 - 0086
(he/him/his)