Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Another Try - More restrictive access to destination ports

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 09:31:42 -0500

Brian - the big problem that we've seen with that is that most P2P systems
jump all over the place using tons of different ports.
On our student network we do some L7 filtering (using the built-in
detections on the Sophos XG firewalls) - but even that has issues,
including false positives, and encryption letting some stuff through. We
did end up having to put in allow-list entries for blizzard games, and some
other things also.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:08 AM Brian Amstutz <