Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NIST 800-63 Breached Passwords and HIBP

From: Aakash Shah <aakash.shah () UCI EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 03:10:30 +0000

We are using a similar product called SafePass<https://safepass.me/> that we implemented for our Microsoft environment.
While SafePass uses the Have I Been Pwned (HIBP) list as a source, the list is stored locally on each DC and hence does
not rely on HIBP (or the Internet) being available at all times. With this model though, SafePass does need to be
updated every 6-12 months when a new HIBP list is released.

-Aakash Shah