Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Desktop & Cloud Backups

From: Shannon Ortiz <ortiz () FORDHAM EDU>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 13:31:05 -0500

We are looking at what it would take to implement desktop (and laptop)
backups for our end users.  With the threat of ransomware continuously
looming and a mindset on an optimal BC/DR stance, it seems only prudent to
consider this seriously.

For those that may not provide desktop backups and use Google Drive or
Microsoft OneDrive we would like to know how you have that configured too.

We would like to know the following:

   - Are you providing desktop backup services?
   - On-premises or 3rd party SaaS solution?
   - Who is footing the bill?  IT, individual department(s), end-users?
   - What vendor/product are you using and why?
   - Do you have personnel assigned to assist with installs, usage, and/or
   file recovery, or are your end-users on their own?
   - Are you mandating or enforcing desktop backup enrollment?
   - How long did the adoption take and at what % of your end-users took
   advantage of this service?
   - For Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive, do you have any backup
   services for them, such as Backupify?
   - Are there any gotchas such as data retention/compliance
   considerations, or anything else that we should know?

Thank you again,
Shannon
Shannon L. Ortiz, CISSP, CISM, C|CISO
Fordham IT