Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: whatz up new privacy policy

From: Julian Y Koh <kohster () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 14:26:22 +0000

On Jan 13, 2021, at 02:02, Suzanne ElHorr <suzan.elhorr () GMAIL COM<mailto:suzan.elhorr () GMAIL COM>> wrote:

As you might know, whatz up has a new privacy policy... and this makes our community at my work wonder  about that and
how would this protect their privacy and they started raising concerns....
We started some comparison between whatz up, telegram,and signal...
I would like to hear from you on that...
Your thoughts?

I personally have seen a large influx of people on my Contact list start to use Signal over the past couple of weeks.
When I reach out, they have all said that it’s because of the new WhatsApp privacy policy that more explicitly allows
WhatsApp to share information with Facebook.

From an institutional point of view, I would expect that most of our institutions would at the very least not be
encouraging work-related communications to be going over any consumer-type 3rd party service that you don’t have a
service agreement with.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2020 Ridge Avenue #331
Evanston, IL 60208
+1-847-467-5780
Northwestern IT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>