Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Banner Parent Proxy

From: Garrett McManaway <garrett.mcmanaway () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 16:33:49 +0000

All,

We are going to be rolling out the Parent Proxy feature in Banner and I have a few questions for anyone that is
currently using the product. We were brought in late to the discussion about this one and trying to get some quick
answers before it goes live.

1.       Is anyone using MFA for the proxy user login? And if so, are you using Duo? I am not entirely sure our license
covers this but I am also not sure I want to supporting non-WSU accounts.

2.       It looks like the only thing required to give someone proxy access is a valid email, has anyone put something
in place to validate the proxy user is an actual parent or guardian?

3.       Is this something your IT teams would instinctively consult general counsel about for any FERPA issues?

The last question might be a discussion all on its own. No one in our IT team or the business partners working on
rolling this out thought to ask "we can, but should we?" until I was involved. It the issue in the second question that
concerns me. I know part of the reason my team and myself are here is to identify those concerns ask that question when
we reviewing projects but I also know I cannot review 100% of our applications due to time and resource constraints.

Garrett McManaway
CISO & Sr. Director
C&IT - Information Security and Compliance
Wayne State University
Phone: 313-577-3454