Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] EPS Review

From: "Bridges, Robert A." <0000008d8011d045-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 22:57:37 +0000

All,
TLDR: research on commercially available malware detection tools https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.09214 (you can go to
arxiv’s website and search for “Beyond the Hype” so you don’t have to click a link). See the results and the last
section for takeaways.

Our team has begun focusing on performing evaluations of commercial off the shelf tools to inform SOCs on what is worth
purchasing. We have just released this paper https://arxiv.org/abs/2012.09214 while it is under review for academic
publication. It focuses on comparing malware detectors, and it compares 4 tools that can broken into: 2 host v. 2
network level detectors, 1 signature-based vs. 3 ML-based, and 3 static vs 1 dynamic analysis tool. We created a
simulation of how a SOC would use the tool to boil all the factors to dollars saved/lost.

**The last section is “Actionable Takeaway” to assist SOCs in what to consider when buying tools.**

Note that part of the agreement to test these commercially available tools is to keep them anonymous, so I cannot give
specific recommendations.

Our goal is to push the scientific research community to evaluate what is actually being used for security and produce
useful results for SOCs. If anyone looks at this and has feedback on how we can be more helpful, we have a few more of
these types of experiments in the works.

Best
Bobby

Robert A. Bridges, PhD
Acting Cybersecurity Research Group Leader
Oak Ridge National Laboratory