Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Requests for record/data erasure

From: Jerry Tylutki <jtylutki () HAMILTON EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 14:37:57 -0500

We fall in the category of responding with a GDPR template message asking
for a GDPR compliant erasure request specifying the data fields to be
deleted, relationship with the college, and proof of identity. No responses
to date following the saymine requests.

But  I can appreciate the question. I received a request to stop snail-mail
communication to an address through the PaperKarma app. There is no legal
precedent to delete this (to my knowledge, IANAL); it becomes a
moral/ethical question of what we can do when we receive requests. I see
where Jonathan is looking - we are all going to see data privacy begin to
become a much bigger part of our jobs, and understanding how other
institutions are handling these requests is a great part of the
conversation now.

*-------*

*Jerry TylutkiInformation Security Officer*
*Hamilton College*

*(315) 859-4289 -- office*

******The contents of this email are CONFIDENTIAL. If you have received
this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete the email and
its contents.******