Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Personal VPN Policy Accessing University Applications

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:36:05 -0400

I think there's a difference between inbound and outbound VPNs

Inbound - "Aw heck no!" If I find one, I'm shutting it down!

Outbound, there are a number of reasons why someone might want or need to
use a VPN to reach out of the university. We have a number of faculty that
also work for one of the local hospitals, and they need to be able to VPN
into the hospital to access some of the things there (that they also need
for clinicals)

On the student side, it gets a little bit murkier. I can use the same logic
for enterprise VPNs, but the commercial VPNs I have a much harder time
justifying, as typically those are used for bypassing monitoring, and to
enable them to torrent copyrighted materials.

I don't know that there's a "good" answer

Frank

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 10:26 AM Curt Kappenman <