Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sustained spamming of single mailbox

From: "Kimmitt, Jonathan" <jonathan-kimmitt () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 18:42:52 +0000

We have had this happen several times, usually it’s a faculty member, and we suspect it was caused by a disgruntled
student….

At first, we tried doing the normal processes, but ended up each time giving a new mailbox, and taking the old alias
and moving it to a mailbox, that was restricted to only allow mail from itself… That way the mailbox would ‘bounce
back’ a message to all outside mail servers… after a few months, we would pull the restrictions and check how many were
still hitting the mailbox….  Normally it dies down to a normal level and we could give back the alias to the faculty
member….

Moving the alias gives you a lot of flexibility, but it’s a painful process of communicating to everyone the new
email……  We mostly do it as a last resort, but is generally welcomed by the employee to stop the massive amounts of
unwanted email….

-Jonathan

~
Jonathan Kimmitt