Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Teaching security using malware

From: Matt Hall <matthew.hall () CHEMEKETA EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:29:40 -0800

Listserv,

For those schools that are teaching security classes that involve utilizing
malware, how are you setting up your environment?

Some specific questions that came up during internal IT conversations are:

   - Should we allow this to happen on premise using some sort of virtual
   environment or only allow it to be done in cloud instances?
   - Should there be anything special about the computers that are used to
   connect to the virtual environment? (Seperate domain, seperate vlan, extra
   security software, only allow certain ports open, etc)
   - We are going to be asking if/how this affects our Cybersecurity
   Insurance.  Has anyone had their insurance affected by doing these types of
   courses/training?

*Matthew Hall*
Information Security Analyst
*Chemeketa Community College*