Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: COVID-19 Self-Screening Software

From: Garrett McManaway <garrett.mcmanaway () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 19:31:09 +0000

We have a home grown tool that goes through a series of question to determine if it is safe for you to come on campus.
If you are cleared by the form you get a code that allows you to check in and record your location either on your
mobile phone or we have setup scanners in some of buildings. If you are not cleared campus health gets notified, they
will then call the person and give them clearance to come on site or help address the medical needs.

We have also modified our student code of conduct to address requirements related to the pandemic. All employees have
to take a training class on Covid safety protocol and are required to have permission of their supervisor to come on
campus. We will also be testing students for COVID as they move into the dorms and are working on a plan for ongoing
testing.

The data being captured is highly restricted to just the campus health center with statistical data being available via
a dashboard to cabinet level leadership. While we are trying to follow privacy best practices we see the public health
concern is severe enough that some of the things we might normal enforce are being put aside. My biggest challenge with
this is how we use this system for guest and affiliates of the University that may need to come on campus and do not
have a great answer for yet.

We are exploring upgrading the entry mechanisms to our buildings so we can tie them into the screener but that required
a rather large investment that I do not think will happen.

We are also exploring the Aruba tools that others mentioned. We have used the logs in the past along with manual
correlation to help out on a few public safety issues, but the number of people who have access to that system is more
than I would like for contract tracing related to health concerns.

Garrett McManaway
CISO & Sr. Director
C&IT - Information Security and Compliance
Wayne State University