Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

NCSA blog series on SOC 2 certification

From: "Dopheide, Jeannette M" <jdopheid () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 20:34:34 +0000

Hello EDUCAUSE Security list,

I'm sharing a new blog series documenting NCSA's work pursuing a SOC Type 2 certification:

NCSA’s Advanced Computational Health Enclave (ACHE) is a multi-tenant environment providing high-performance computing
(HPC) for research involving electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI). NCSA follows HIPAA standards and has
implemented a set of security controls to ensure the protection of ePHI.

As a validation of our controls, NCSA is pursuing a SOC 2 Type 2 certification for its ACHE environment. A SOC 2 is an
assessment of a service organization’s system and organizational controls. These internal controls, including policies,
business processes, and technical controls, are assessed according to one or more of the AICPA’s Trust Service Criteria
for Security, Availability, Processing Integrity, Confidentiality, and Privacy.

Our goal with the series is to document our efforts, recommendations, and lessons learned during this process.
To read more, see our blogs posted here:
https://wiki.ncsa.illinois.edu/label/cybersec/soc_2

--
Jeannette M. Dopheide
Sr. Education, Outreach and Training Coordinator