Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS Filtering

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 12:21:52 -0500

On 11 Sep 20, at 12:52, Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU> wrote:

We're looking to add DNS filtering to our tool set here.  We know that filtering of any kind can be controversial,
even for known security specific issues, in education.  Of those that have implemented DNS filtering, how did you
introduce the solution and gain acceptance?

Everything we do is driven by our stated policies.  We use BIND's RPZ capabilities to selectively poison demonstrably
malicious domains.  Acceptance hasn't ever been a problem because the poisonings are done in direct response to a
security problem, and people seem to generally accept that.  Our policy permits this because it's a direct response to
a security event or events.

We do not have a policy that states we filter domains in advance of a security event or other clearly demonstrable need
to filter it, so our filtering (by way of poisoning) is done sparingly.  People seem to generally accept this because
our policy pretty clearly describes the actions we're likely to take.

--
Alan Amesbury
Security Analyst | University Information Security (UIS)