Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cyber Security Awareness Month - Examples of Online events or Phishing

From: Kristen Dietiker <000001c25973bc27-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2020 18:29:11 -0700

I've built an online scavenger hunt, modeled after one SANS did several
weeks ago for their awareness summit:
https://sites.google.com/view/ScavengerHuntStart (Not sure how long their
site will be available.)

It uses Google forms and Google sites. Answers to clues on a Google form
are used to create a key that becomes part of the URL of the next level (A
Google site), which has another form with clues to unlock the third level.
(Wrong answers won't generate the correct URL). The SANS version concluded
with "finding the buried treasure" by generating coordinates for Google
maps. I've ditched this part and just created an end page with a "Congrats,
here's a reward" message. Those rewards will likely be cybersecurity & SCU
themed wallpapers or Zoom backgrounds they can download right from the end
page. I also hope to do drawings for small prizes.

I thought most of the SANS questions weren't really suitable for our
faculty and staff and didn't really serve to drive behavioral change. I
really tried to focus on creating clues and answers that addressed the
common problems we see–such as account security. My questions are split
between asking about SCU security resources, and advice that is found on
our website, and security resources around the web. Most questions focus on
using long passwords, password managers, & multi-factor auth, with the
purpose of driving change in these areas. A few questions drive people to
external resources they can use to assess personal security risk.

--
*Kristen Dietiker*
Chief Information Security Officer

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 2:28 PM Royse, Rhonda - (rroyse) <rroyse () arizona edu>