Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Azure/O365 roles for InfoSec staff

From: "Jim A. Bole" <jbole () STEVENSON EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2020 13:01:29 +0000

Jose,

The Security Administrator role in O365 has provided me most of what I need access to in Office365/Azure. I also have
User administrator privileges. As a one-man show, I do a wide range of infosec jobs: IR, compliance, etc.

One role to look at is Service Support Administrator. This allows me to open cases with Microsoft for any security
issues. Also allows me to view health.

I don’t have any Exchange admin permissions, which means I can’t do some functions such as message tracing. I’ve been
able to a lot of work around email with other tools, including audit logs and content search.

Jim Bole
Director of Information Security
Stevenson University
1525 Greenspring Valley Road
Stevenson, MD, 21153-0641
jbole () stevenson edu | O: 443-334-2696