Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Border IPS replacement--feedback needed

From: Keenan Martinez <0000004218ecec53-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 12:05:30 +0000

 Fugett,

Please see comments below.

  *   What border firewall/IPS are you using?  Fortinet

  *   What made you decide on that solution?  Price and ease of administration

  *   Where does it fit with your overall security architecture? All subnets are routed through the devices, which we
have IPS/IDS, AV, and mac filtering enabled.

  *   Does your solution integrate with endpoint protection? If so, how? Yes, we utilise FortiEMS which controls
FortiClient on end-users systems for additional controls and enhancements.

  *   Did you integrate your solution with other technologies or vendor solutions (ex. Load Balancer, VMWare NSX,
etc.)?  Not at this time.

  *   Do you have an Aruba Wireless Network? If so, how well does your solution integrate with Aruba Wireless? No. we
use Fortinet wireless solution.

  *   Do you have Aruba ClearPass? If so, did you integrate ClearPass with your solution? How well did it integrate?
Do not use Aruba.

  *   How does it integrate with systems or services your institution has in the cloud? Seamless integration with our
Azure infrastructure.

  *   Are you using it for multiple purposes (ex. WAF, VPN, etc.)? Yes, services are published behind the device while
faculty and staff can connect to both SSL VPN and IPsec VPN.

  *   Are you performing SSL inspection? Yes, deep SSL inspection is configured on selected network.

  *   What would you do differently? Any gotcha's or lessons learned that you can share?

Reply to: The EDUCAUSE Security Community Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
We are replacing our current IPS solution and would like feedback on what other universities are using as their border
firewall/IPS and how you arrived at the decision(s) you did. I would love to chat off list and/or via phone if you
would prefer not to reply publicly.

  *   What border firewall/IPS are you using?  Fortinet

  *   What made you decide on that solution?  Price and ease of administration

  *   Where does it fit with your overall security architecture?

  *   Does your solution integrate with endpoint protection? If so, how? Yes, through FortiEMS

  *   Did you integrate your solution with other technologies or vendor solutions (ex. Load Balancer, VMWare NSX, etc.)?

  *   Do you have an Aruba Wireless Network? If so, how well does your solution integrate with Aruba Wireless?

  *   Do you have Aruba ClearPass? If so, did you integrate ClearPass with your solution? How well did it integrate?

  *   How does it integrate with systems or services your institution has in the cloud?

  *   Are you using it for multiple purposes (ex. WAF, VPN, etc.)?

  *   Are you performing SSL inspection?

  *   What would you do differently? Any gotcha's or lessons learned that you can share?

______________________________________
Julie C. Fugett, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
KU Information Technology
The University of Kansas
Email jcf () ku edu<mailto:jcf () ku edu>
Mobile +1 785 691 9023
Office +1 785 864 0490
She/Her/Hers

Complete your annual security awareness training today! https://go.ku.edu/tyYnU

_____________________________________________________________________ Please note that this message and any attachments
may contain confidential and proprietary material and information and are intended only for the use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy this e-mail and any attachments and all copies,
whether electronic or printed. Thank you.