Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Umbrella

From: "Pete, Andrew" <000000d06e28c017-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 18:49:38 +0000

Hi Ryan,

We evaluated Umbrella about a year ago and love it.  The experience has been great thus far and we really haven’t had
many issues.  We will occasionally run into something legitimate that is blocked but that hasn’t happened too often.
Chasing URLs to add to an allow list is a challenge and always fun but that’s typical of most DNS/web based filtering
that I’ve seen.

I tried to keep the number of policies for production users to a minimum.  For now I’ve got a policy for our Guests,
Students, Employees and the Default policy.  I’ve also got some specialized policies for small segments like our
eSports Arena and NAC registration/remediation networks.  I’m also trying to keep the settings simple as well.
Blocking most of the security settings.  The only content/applications I am blocking are P2P and Anonymizing/privacy
VPN products.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to reach out to me if you want more info.

Andy

Andrew Pete
Information Security Architect

New England Institute of Technology
One New England Tech Boulevard
East Greenwich, RI 02818-1205
401-780-4460 (Direct)
apete () neit edu<mailto:apete () neit edu>

[NEIT_Full_Stack_H_White_BG_PNG1]