Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Survey on stress and burnout in cybersecurity

From: Neal O'Farrell <nealjofarrell () GMAIL COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:18:03 -0400

Hi everyone, we're conducting what we hope will be the most comprehensive
study of the prevalence and impact of stress and burnout amongst security
professionals, and we're inviting all Educause security group members to
complete our short and private survey.

There seems to be a growing consensus that stress and burnout are now at
chronic and critical levels in security, and as a result damaging not only
the individuals but their employer's security posture.

And some recent studies, from Ponemon, Symantec and others, have found that
nearly two thirds of security professionals have considered quitting the
job, or the entire industry, because of stress and burnout.

We believe that many of the causes of stress and burnout in security can be
managed, and at no cost, but first they have to be recognized, and ideally,
measured.

That's the purpose of the study. It's just 20 questions, completely
anonymous, and takes about 5 minutes to complete.

This link will explain more and connect you to the survey.
https://www.thepsyberproject.com/about-the-survey

If you have any questions, or want to share your own personal stories or
experience, we'd love to hear from you.

And we'd love your input on the survey too. It's not scientific, and not
for a specific control group, because we want to hear as many voices as
possible (literally, not in our heads, although we'd like to hear about
that too).

Many thanks.

Neal
Neal O'Farrell
Founder, the PsyberResilience Project
www.ThePsyberProject.com

(925) 914 0248 EST
nealjofarrell () gmail com

*"Cybersecurity professionals are trying to save everyone. Does someone
need to save them?"*
Dark Reading, March 2020