Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Double Decker -- Antivirus (ATP vs. SEP) and Web App Transaction Monitoring

From: "Foss, Henry L." <fossh () SACREDHEART EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:34:54 +0000

Good Morning All,

Hope this finds everyone doing well.  I would like to get thoughts on two different items, unrelated:

  1.  SEP vs. Defender ATP:

I'm curious if anyone has made the move from to Defender ATP, or if you've actually moved away from SEP in the process.
 Defender ATP is relatively new so the jury may still be out, but it would be interesting to get some thoughts on it.

From what I've seen and heard of Defender ATP it seems powerful along with its visibility, console views, and
vulnerability management pieces, although there may be some mixed reviews - not the least of which is virus detection
rates tend to be below competitors.

  1.  Web Application Transaction Monitors:

We like to simulate a logon to a web application from the outside in, which requires transaction monitoring. This is
initially implemented through a web recording. Uptrends (external monitoring service like Alertbot) offers this, but
not necessarily at a very low price.

MS SCOM offers this as well, but it does not appear to offer a credentialed run of the monitor. Curious what others are
using for site monitoring.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you

Hank Foss
Manager of Security Infrastructure CISSP, MSCS, GPEN
Sacred Heart University
Main Campus HC112
Office: (203) 396-8279
Mobile: (203) 295-1356