Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Telehealth with Zoom or Teams

From: Ted Wilder <twilder () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 09:41:04 -0500

An important recent change to HIPAA enforcement to be aware of:
https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/emergency-preparedness/notification-enforcement-discretion-telehealth/index.html

From the HHS post: "OCR will exercise its enforcement discretion and will
not impose penalties for noncompliance with the regulatory requirements
under the HIPAA Rules against covered health care providers in connection
with the good faith provision of telehealth during the COVID-19 nationwide
public health emergency.  This notification is effective immediately."

Before this new guidance, Macalester established a HIPAA-complaint Zoom sub
account in our education/enterprise account.

Ted Wilder

He/Him/His

Associate Director

Information Technology Services

(651) 696-6623 | twilder () macalester edu

1600 Grand Avenue

Saint Paul, MN 55105 USA

[image: mac-sec-horizontal-logo-150w.jpg] <https://www.macalester.edu/>

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:57 AM Kimmitt, Jonathan <