Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake G-Suite Calendar Invites

From: Jesse Thompson <000000b6da97d697-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 17:22:30 +0000

Hi Ron,

This is very interesting.

Did the attackers successfully update the event?  They would at least need to know the event ID, which means that they
were attendees or had access to the mailbox of an attendee.

Based on feedback when CalConnect worked with M3AAWG on the calendar spam problem we realized that spoofing protection
may be needed for the Organizer of events, since those don't need to match the From address (which is what DMARC
protects).  It makes me think that we should start logging the event Organizer in our mail logs so that we can start
the track the level of spoofing.

If we see an uptick in this trend, we could work with CalConnect to update the Calendar operator practices — Guidelines
to protect against calendar abuse

https://devguide.calconnect.org/Other-Topics/calendarspam/

https://standards.calconnect.org/csd/cc-18003.html
Calendar operator practices — Guidelines to protect against calendar
abuse<https://standards.calconnect.org/csd/cc-18003.html>
Impact of calendar spam. Calendar spam is unique in a number of ways: Calendar spam, unlike email, can be placed
end-user to detect at the time of delivery.
standards.calconnect.org

Jesse Thompson
University of Wisconsin-Madison