Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of Personal Computers for Work

From: Ronald Loneker <rloneker () CSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:31:57 -0500

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

I'll be interested to see what other comments come across the list on this.

Mandating that adjuncts use institutional computers is like herding cats -
it's never going to happen since we don't have the resources to offer
laptops to them and the sheer number of adjuncts we have.

I do like the idea of using data classifications as a way to help in this
matter, though, especially with faculty.  For the most part, I think we
could address staff using institutional computers easily and build in
levels of data classifications for faculty with recommended best practices
for personal computers that might touch institutional data from our SIS
system.

Thanks again for your on-going thoughts on this topic - it's helpful to
work through this with security professionals.

Ron Loneker, Jr.
Director, IT Special Projects
College of Saint Elizabeth
Mahoney Library