Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: GreenDot/Go Bank and Direct Deposit Scams

From: Hiram Wong <hiram.wong () DOMAIL MARICOPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:28:45 -0700

Hi Ed,

We took our DD changes offline.  Any DD changes involve the employee coming
in and physically verifying their identity.  MFA would probably help a lot
as well!

Hiram

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 2:25 PM Hudson, Edward <ehudson () calstate edu> wrote:

We have seen a spike in the use of GreenDog/Go Bank associated with
student financial aid deposit and employee reimbursement phishing and scams.

Wondering if you all are seeing it and if so, what steps you might have
taken as it pertains to this institution.  Since there are legitimate users
blocking DD changes is not really an option.

Of course, we have looked at the business processes, MFA etc. Curious as
to experience on this particular aspect.

TIA

EH

*Ed Hudson*

CSU Chief Information Security Officer