Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HIPAA Network Guidelines

From: "Menne, Michael S" <michael.menne () MNSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 18:40:22 +0000

Thank you Adam.  This is very much my understanding as well.

We are a hybrid entity as our entire University isn’t covered, but we have covered functions. The two triggers for us
are electronic insurance billing and serving the general public. If we were serving students only, FERPA would apply to
the privacy aspect, but the HIPAA Security rule would still apply.  My experience is that FERPA is more restrictive per
the letter of the law, but more open to interpretation as to how and who.  HIPAA isn’t as restrictive, but has more
guidelines/rules that define how and who PHI can be shared with.

We encrypt all of our workstation regardless of function. I tend to try to apply reasonable security controls across
the board rather than try to segment any one population of data.

I’m not involved in all of the contractual aspects, but I know our Health Services clinic has BAAs in place and
documented for all of their partners.

Michael Menne, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
IT Solutions Information Security
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Phone:  (507) 389-5705
mnsu.edu/cyberaware<https://mnsu.edu/cyberaware>

[signature_2008603909]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and