Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

MFA/2FA Implementation Questions

From: "Pardonek, Jim" <jpardonek () LUC EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 15:25:54 +0000

Hi All,

Our MFA project has hit a few snags and our senior leadership is asking us to gather more information from other
schools to identify and potential issues.

Rather than Duo, the university opted for Microsoft and although mostly smooth so far, we still have some nagging
problems that keep coming up.

One that has come up as of late is modern auth support for android email.  Seems like 3 months ago, the answer for
anyone with an android was install the Outlook client.  What we have been finding is that Samsung phones, for example,
S7 or later that have a minimum email client version of 6.1.01.0 work with modern auth.  Given the rabbit hole that
androids can make. We are now being asked to test as many makes, models and versions of android phone that we can get
our hands on.  If anyone has done this research, we would appreciate any insight.

I've asked this on a previous post but got no responses but thought I'd ask again regarding exception groups.  Our
current stance is to except Board members, Council of Regents and alumni. We would be interested in seeing what other
schools are doing.

Lastly if you would be kind enough to share any pitfalls, constraints and roadblock as well as implementation
recommendations, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

James Pardonek, MS, CISSP, CEH, GSNA
Associate Director
Chief Information Security Officer
Loyola University Chicago
1032 W. Sheridan Road | Chicago, IL  60660

*: (773) 508-6086

Loyola University Chicago will never ask you for your username or password.
For the latest information security news at Loyola, please follow us online,
Twitter: @LUCUISO
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lucuiso/
Our Blog http://blogs.luc.edu/uiso/