Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Success Outcomes of Using External Sender Email Disclaimers

From: "Coller, Jon" <jonathan.coller () USASK CA>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 19:47:00 +0000

Hi Mark,

We have been running internal phishing simulations for several years, so we have some baseline data on susceptibility
to different types of bait emails. This, combined with a gradual roll-out, let us do some A/B testing to determine if
the warning were effective. We've had a 41% reduction in click-rate for targeted phishing after implementing the
warnings. Oddly enough the reduction was quite consistent across multiple types / qualities of bait, even though they
have dramatically different raw click rates.

Jon Coller
Chief Information Security Officer

University of Saskatchewan
Information & Communication Technology