Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Public Facing Faculty listings

From: John McCabe <john.mccabe01 () MANHATTAN EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 10:04:48 -0500

Hi George,

The solution I've settled on is to quarantine email that arrives from
domains such as @gmail.com where the username matches academic department
heads. Over the past few weeks, the phishing email addresses have changed
their account naming method to use unrelated names. They still use the
academic department heads' names in the email headers though (e.g. "James
Brown" <sarahjohnson832 () gmail com>) and now create rules for that too.

Make sure to create the quarantine rules such that false positives can be
whitelisted. For instance if quarantining email based on the name appearing
anywhere in the full headers then, make exceptions for
messages-noreply () linkedin com, notification () facebookmail com, etc.

Also if quarantining based on the name appearing anywhere in the full
headers then, don't forget base64 encoding.

Regards,
John

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 8:33 AM George J. Silowash <gsilowas () norwich edu>