Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Printer Security

From: Frank Barton <bartonf () HUSSON EDU>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 17:01:58 -0500

Since I've gotten a couple requests, Here's the slide deck that I used for
my presentation "Printers Are Evil"

Frank

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:37 PM Frank Barton <bartonf () husson edu> wrote:

Robert, you've hit the nail, mostly, on the head. (and If you're
interested, I'll send you my slide-deck entitled "Printers Are Evil" for a
presentation I did for the local INFOSEC group)

   - Change all passwords (admin or otherwise)
   - Set 'sane' SNMP community strings
   - Update Firmware (I would remove the "If allowed" - it *will* be kept
   current)
   - Add all printers to management/monitoring
   - Do not allow access to printers on the 'production' network, they
   should be COMPLETELY isolated (and public internet would be a huge "nope"
   from me)
   - LDAP, if needed for directory listing
   - Passcodes, or other secure release mechanism (We use PaperCut &
   Find-me printing)
   - Shut down any protocol you aren't using (this includes USB, WiFi,
   etc.)
   - Contact the Office of Technology when disposing of a printer (do not
   throw in trash or recycle without support).
   - All IP information must be assigned by the Office of Technology
   - Encrypt the printer’s hard disk (if an option)
   - Configure Logging to a remote server if supported
   - Configure NTP

A couple of your notes I questioned.
We created a dedicated network exclusively for printers. the only people
that can talk directly to printers are IT folks when working through the
servers. Printers are notoriously 'soft' targets, and I don't want them on
the production network, but in order for them to be useful, and be
monitored, you need them on a network.

Any communication to the printers has to go through the print servers.

Our MFPs also reach out to $VENDOR directly, which has to go through a
proxy server as the printer network doesn't have internet access.
Don't trust the printers' built in white-listing abilities. set up ACLs on
the network so that you know nothing except explicitly authorized
servers/services can talk to the printers

If you want some 'fun', tell Nessus to scan your local network overnight,
and see how many people complain about the reams of paper that print out
when typical printers get hit with a vulnerability scanner

The other thing I would add would be standardize! have your "big" MFPs
that are vendor managed and supported, and pick one or two models of
'desktop' type devices that you will 'permit'

Let me know if you have questions

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 3:20 PM Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () lewisu edu>