Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] Malware distribution?

From: Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 00:12:43 -0400

On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 15:17:41 -0000, "Bridges, Robert A." said:
Related question—is there a way to get a handle on the ratio of benign to
malicious files in an organization?

It's *hopefully* going to be vanishingly small.  I don't have a Windows box
handy, but I'm sure that once you install Windows 10 and Microsoft Office,
you're looking at 200K files or more.  This Fedora laptop has over 200K files
between /, /usr, and /usr/share, and it's not even a complete install.

So if 1% of your users have been pwned and have malware on their boxes,
and the average pwned user has 100 malicious files, and 200K files for a base
install, you're looking at 0.0005% malicious files.  And if you have a large archive
server (I was running one that was over a half-billion files and 12 petabytes+ of
data), that's going to dilute the percentage even more unless there's a lot of
malware in the archive....