Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Fwd: CyberStart Student Apprentice Workshop and Onboarding NSF Program

From: "Matthew Nappi [Information Security]" <matthew.nappi () STONYBROOK EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 23:02:05 -0400

Hello All:

I wanted to make fellow higher ed InfoSec professionals aware of this
workshop I am happy to be a part of. It's a unique opportunity in my
opinion, funded by NSF and made possible by the SANS Institute. As
University InfoSec practitioners we need more help than is commonly
available, but often struggle to find students to hire that will be able to
make a meaningful contribution to our efforts with limited overhead. On the
other hand, University Faculty have strong connections to future potential
cybersecurity professionals and are looking to help their students get
valuable work experience.

We are looking for no more than 10 Universities to join us for a workshop
at NYU Tandon in Brooklyn, NY to facilitate the implementation of this
program at your University. There are some logistical hoops to jump through
to get this off the ground initially, but we were able to benefit at SBU
and there is an appetite to see if this approach can be replicated at other
schools. To qualify, you must be a Faculty and CISO pair (or equivalent)
willing to implement a program similar to the proof of concept we ran at
Stony Brook University. (
https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2019/4/cyberstart-finding-the-best-candidates-for-student-cybersecurity-positions-and-beyond
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2019/4/cyberstart-finding-the-best-candidates-for-student-cybersecurity-positions-and-beyond&sa=D&ust=1571198833872000&usg=AFQjCNE-5ebgRHLU7dbHXGhXTQSrLKcXmQ>
)

In addition to receiving the benefits associated with contributing to help
resolve the nationwide Cybersecurity shortage and assist with your real
world security challenges, approved participants will receive:
- - Free access to a training platform for your entire student body
developed by the SANS Institute (https://www.sans.org/CyberStartUS
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.sans.org/CyberStartUS&sa=D&ust=1571198833873000&usg=AFQjCNFJ39YApJRfxg-QxLnahiXbSu904A>
)
- - A stipend of $6000 to the participating Universities to assist with
implementation of the program
- - Attendance to a quick start workshop on January 4 to be held at NYU
Tandon (Brooklyn) and led by Mandy Galante (SANS), Matt Nappi (SBU) and
Nasir Memon (NYU)
- -Travel expenses to the workshop will be covered by the NSF grant

If chosen to participate, we will notify you no later than 30 days prior to
the scheduled workshop. Applications will close November 16. Please email
any questions to Nasir Memon - memon () nyu edu (or me).

Link to the application:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSccbHZ4No19SgB157z00X_4bD3sNhp5KYyPug10oboqm1RoDQ/viewform

*---*
*Matt Nappi*, *CISSP | CISM | GIAC
<https://www.giac.org/certified-professional/matthew-nappi/140740>*
Chief Information Security Officer
Assistant Vice President
Stony Brook University
631-632-4856 (24856) | 100 Nicolls Road, 11794
sender by e-mail and destroy all copies of the original.