Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Storage of PII, wanting location that requires MFA?

From: "Kimmitt, Jonathan" <jonathan-kimmitt () UTULSA EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:23:39 +0000

Hi all,

    We have a legacy NFS share that we utilize for the temporary storage of PII during processing/transfer, etc.

About a third of our full time staff have access (limited by person and department per folder), which is automagically
mapped on their windows machines upon login.

I'm curious as to what other institutions are doing to provide a secure place to store (even temporary) PII, and
specifically I'm trying to determine how to require MFA to the data.

We use Office365 and do have a BAA with Microsoft, so it's possible to utilize OneDrive, but we have been hesitant for
a variety of reasons.

Any thoughts on another process/tool/location/etc. to provide secure/MFA space for PII storage?

-Jonathan

~
Jonathan Kimmitt
CISSP, PCIP, CEH, CIPM, GPEN, CIPT, CIPP/E
Chief Information Security Officer
Information Technology
The University of Tulsa
918.631.2743