Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy - Employees using personal storage

From: "Giacobe, Nick" <nxg13 () PSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 15:13:14 +0000

My university has no such policy directly.  There are some indirect policies related to software license agreements.

We have a difficult-to-enforce requirement that says that employees do not have the authority to bind the university to
a contract with an external organization. Only authorized persons have the ability to do that.  That includes
click-through agreements for things like online services, software, etc.  It is extremely difficult for the university
to monitor and police such agreements.

However, as a faculty member who teaches in security and risk, and in cybersecurity, I am cognizant that my
organization will likely pin it all on me if I violate something like FERPA using such “free” or low cost, personal
account and services.

How would it happen? Let’s say that, as a faculty member, I sign up for Google’s free email service.  The click-through
agreement says that I

“give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative
works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works
better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The
rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and
to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing
you have added to Google Maps).”  https://policies.google.com/terms?gl=US&hl=en

So, let’s say I do that. I sign up for Gmail, and Google “Publicly” displays and performs emails or google drive
content to someone else in the world (because I gave them license to do that)…. And that content included the grades of
my students.  As an employee of the university, I have no authority to bind the university to such agreements.  So if I
did it… I did it personally.

Who is responsible for the FERPA violation?

Me. Personally…. And my institution will probably hang me out to dry.

---
Nicklaus A. Giacobe, Ph.D.
Director of Undergraduate Programs and Assistant Teaching Professor
Phone: 814-865-8233
College of Information Sciences and Technology
Penn State University
E333 Westgate Building
University Park, PA 16802