Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] [SECURITY] Geoblocking

From: James Valente <jvalente () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 05:14:56 +0000

I’ve found straight up geoblocking to be a solution that won’t get approved here as we’ve got students from 100+
countries currently enrolled, faculty and staff traveling for business and personal use (I’m sending this from China
currently) and countless potential applicants. Assumptions about any source country could result in students not being
able to access resources, decreased enrollment, or faculty not being able to complete work if overseas.

If possible, multi factor auth (preferably combined with conditional access if on o365) is a better solution in
securing accounts without preventing legitimate use. Even if a rollout isn’t something you’d think is easy consider
pitching it for only logins outside the country or for known “risky” ASNs or IPs

—James

Sent from my iPhone