Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Fake Direct Deposit Forms

From: "Manjak, Martin" <mmanjak () ALBANY EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 16:29:20 +0000

Ron,

You're not. We had an incident last week where an account was compromised and used to send the DD change request to our
HR department. The fake check and form also referenced an American Express National Bank account. In our case, the A/C#
was 6220124014299.

It was flagged because our form requires state assigned employee IDs, not SSN.

The emails were sourced from QuadraNet, Inc colocation centers in Atlanta, LA, and Huntsville.

The mystery we haven't solved yet is how the employee's email was compromised. No spam was sent, just the DD change
request. They did set up an In box rule that marked any responses from HR as read and moved to the Delete folder to
prevent the victim from being tipped off.

Marty Manjak
CISO
University at Albany